MLAX Boys U12-U15 Spring Assessments
for 2020 Spring Team Formation
Each year MLAX conducts player assessments for the spring season, U12-U15 team formations, in order to place players on the appropriate team for their skill level. We do this with the goal of maximizing each player’s individual enjoyment of the sport.
The MLAX Team Formation Policy
For those that are not familiar with the MLAX team formation policy, it was developed in 2009 as a result of a study the MLAX board conducted into how Lacrosse leagues across the country did team formation. The league has followed that policy every year since. The basic tenants of the policy are the following:
For the U8-U11 age groups, teams are formed in the beginning years using the recreational goals of friends, geographic locations, schools, car pools, etc. Those teams are then allowed to grow and develop together and player/team changes are managed through a Blind Draft methodology to ensure the highest level of fairness to all participants.
With the U12-U15 age groups, the MLAX policy is to form teams using player assessment to group kids of similar abilities together. The objective is to give each player across an age division the best opportunity to develop and succeed. It is not about winning, but it is about competing, developing every player, and keeping every player inspired for long term success at any level. Over the years we have found that a player playing on a team too high for his ability can become frustrated and dejected while a player playing on a team too low for his ability can experience the exact same emotions. Thus, we believe the quest for assessments is to minimize those frustrations and provide an environment for each player where confidence is maximized and development and enjoyment of the game follow.
MLAX does look at each age group individually to make sure we will have quality coaching resources for all teams and that each team will be competitive within their assigned CYLA division. This process is conducted every year and new assessments are held each year to be fair to all players.
The assessments for the 2020 spring MLAX season will take place at the following place, dates, and times:
Sunday, October 20th – Marshdale East Field
11:00am - 1:00pm: U12 & U13 age divisions (6th & 7th grade equivalent)
1:30pm - 3:30pm: U15 age division (8th grade equivalent)
All players are strongly encouraged to attend the session on Sunday, October 20th, however, a make up session will be held at the following date/time and location for any players who have an unavoidable conflict on October 20th:
Sunday, November 3rd – Marshdale East Field (call back and make-up session if needed)
The call back allows the independent assessors to get a closer and better look at individual players who have similar first session scores.
11:00am - 12:30pm: U12 & U13 age divisions (6th & 7th grade equivalent)
1:00pm - 2:30pm: U15 age division (8th grade equivalent)
Here are a couple of key points regarding assessments:
- All new players that did not play in the spring are encouraged to attend assessments.
- U12: All players wishing to make the most competitive team must attend assessments. Assessments will be conducted like a lacrosse practice and all players are encouraged to attend. If a player is not interested in playing on the most competitive team, he can choose not to attend assessments and he will be placed on another team in the spring.
- U13: All players wishing to make the most competitive team (U13 Fairbanks) must attend assessments.
- U15: All players wishing to make the most competitive team must attend assessments. If you do not attend you will default to your team from last year (U15 Fesenmeyer or U15 Sweatt).
- In all cases we are at the mercy of the total registration numbers for each grade and thus we have to reserve the right to make changes to any team!
- If a player is interested in gaining the experience of an assessment process (to prepare for high school), players are able to attend the assessment and revert back to their original team.
- In unique cases where players cannot attend assessments due to injury or similar circumstance players will be placed on the appropriate team by determination of a Placement Committee comprised of MLAX board members and that specific grade's coaching staff. A player's reason for not attending at least one of the sessions will be given careful consideration when determining placement.
- Each player will be given a numbered jersey to wear during assessments.
- Each player must indicate a preferred position in which they would like to be assessed. However, this position may not be the position he is ultimately chosen for - attack/midfield, defenseman, or goalie.
- 3-4 independent assessors will be assigned to each age level and will assess players on 2 categories: overall Lax IQ, and overall Lax skills to include offense, defense, and stick skills.
- Results from the assessments will be used to construct teams.
All players will need to register for assessments. There is no cost but you do need to have a current US Lacrosse membership for insurance and liability purposes (most of you are probably current).
If you are aware of any 6th – 8th grade boys who are interested in playing lacrosse next spring but may not be on the MLAX email distribution list – please feel free to forward this email along!
I'm sure we've forgotten something to tell you so if you have any questions please email email@example.com and we'll get you answers.
See you Sunday, October 20th!
Base Cost: $0.00
Open to: Boys
In Grades: 6 to 8 for 2019-20 School year